Raw Data from NEO-6M

12

Raw Data from NEO-6M

vbenso
I'm trying to use rtklib with NEO-6M, according to the openmaps wiki it is unofficially supported by rtklib.
However when I try to activate the RXM-RAW message (B5 62 06 01 08 00 02 10 00 01 00 00 00 00 22 28) on usart1 (the port I'm using to interface the arduino with the neo), I'm getting ACK-FAILURE from the NEO.
Is there another way to make it work?

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

antongstrydom
Hi there

I have tested extensively with U-Blox and Hemisphere receivers. The only U-Blox receivers that works are the "T" models ie LEA 6T or NEO 6T

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

vbenso
Thanks,

I'll try to fix that wiki so people wont endure this same headache again.

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

antongstrydom
Hi there vbenso

I have tested very extensively with U-Blox and Hemisphere receivers the only U-Blox receivers that works are the NEO and LEA "T" models. I have yet to test a "P" model but it should work

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 5:19 PM, vbenso <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to use rtklib with NEO-6M, according to the openmaps wiki it is
unofficially supported by rtklib.
However when I try to activate the RXM-RAW message (B5 62 06 01 08 00 02 10
00 01 00 00 00 00 22 28) on usart1 (the port I'm using to interface the
arduino with the neo), I'm getting ACK-FAILURE from the NEO.
Is there another way to make it work?

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

antongstrydom
Hi Victor

No problem if I can assist feel free to shout, we have developed a GIS system using U-Blox and Hemisphere that works very well.

Regards

Anton

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 5:25 PM, vbenso <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks,

I'll try to fix that wiki so people wont endure this same headache again.

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

Danny Miller
Last I checked, it was incredibly difficult to source "T" models out of UBlox.  They don't want to sell to individuals, only reels to OEMs.  They did technically sell singles but at a comically high price compared to reels, and they were very specific that they did NOT want a reel to be broken up and resold outside of a commercial product.  Yes, it's strange.

NVS does sell singles freely, and the price is good.  Big Secret: yes Newark does carry them, but don't use Newark- just go to the NVS website:

http://www.nvs-gnss.com/products/receivers/item/2-nv08c-csm.html

Select "Contacts" and find your region.  The reps do sell singles straight to consumers, at a much lower price.

Danny

On 1/15/2014 9:25 AM, Anton Strydom wrote:
Hi there vbenso

I have tested very extensively with U-Blox and Hemisphere receivers the only U-Blox receivers that works are the NEO and LEA "T" models. I have yet to test a "P" model but it should work

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 5:19 PM, vbenso <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to use rtklib with NEO-6M, according to the openmaps wiki it is
unofficially supported by rtklib.
However when I try to activate the RXM-RAW message (B5 62 06 01 08 00 02 10
00 01 00 00 00 00 22 28) on usart1 (the port I'm using to interface the
arduino with the neo), I'm getting ACK-FAILURE from the NEO.
Is there another way to make it work?

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

Brent Fraser
Here's one source of "evaluation" boards (not modules) :

http://www.csgshop.com/category.php?id_category=16

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser
On 1/15/2014 2:20 PM, Danny Miller wrote:
[...]

try rf design south africa

email allen seager [hidden email]  he is very helpful

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:01 AM, Brent Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Good news,

Managed to get the raw data from neo-6m.
Once I removed neo-6m as supported device from the openstreetmaps wiki, someone edited the page with new information.
If you send "B5 62 09 01 10 00 C8 16 00 00 00 00 00 00 97 69 21 00 00 00 02 10 2B 22" to the neo-6m you will receive a UBX ACK-SUCCESS and the raw packets will start to come out of the module as soon as you enable the UBX-RXM-RAW message.

Let's try to use this output in rtklib and see what happens.

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

antongstrydom
Cool great stuff

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

leor
I got 2 CN-06 (neo6m) recievers to output into RTKlib both over serial COM. Problem is that I have not been able to get a fix and always get a single status. Also whenever I choose static it seems to change everytime I start it. Using dgps and kinematic gives me an accuraccy of around 50m. I have tested this indoors and managed to get RAW data. Any idea how it would perform outdoors? I am trying to collect data to creat GCP for use in ortho correction
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kj3Z5IV.jpg[/IMG]

Great info you guys have. I got it to work but I am not sure what kind of accuracy I will be getting

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

vbenso
Leor,

It's been a long time since I don't touch my GPS hardware, so I could be wrong. That being said.
As far as I remember, rtklib needs more information than just UBX-RXM-RAW in order to obtain an accurate fix. The neo6m should send another message (maybe RXM-SFRB?) that I wasn't able to get from the receiver.
I could get ordinary gps precision in static and single modes of rtklib.
Good luck, and in case of any development let me know.

Victor A. P. Benso
Sementes Benso
Major Vieira - SC
(47) 9922-9599
(47) 3655-1192

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM, leor [via Open Source GPS-related discussion and support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I got 2 CN-06 (neo6m) recievers to output into RTKlib both over serial COM. Problem is that I have not been able to get a fix and always get a single status. Also whenever I choose static it seems to change everytime I start it. Using dgps and kinematic gives me an accuraccy of around 50m. I have tested this indoors and managed to get RAW data. Any idea how it would perform outdoors? I am trying to collect data to creat GCP for use in ortho correction
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kj3Z5IV.jpg[/IMG]

Great info you guys have. I got it to work but I am not sure what kind of accuracy I will be getting

http://open-source-gps-related-discussion-and-support.1099874.n2.nabble.com/Raw-Data-from-NEO-6M-tp7572786p7572854.html
To unsubscribe from Raw Data from NEO-6M, click here.
NAML

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

mochasatin
Leor,

You have to go into U-Center and enter the following custom message:

to enable RXM-RAW

b5 62 09 01 10 00 c8 16 00 00 00 00 00 00 97 69 21 00 00 00 02 10 2b 22

to enable RXM-SFRB

b5 62 09 01 10 00 0c 19 00 00 00 00 00 00 83 69 21 00 00 00 02 11 5f f0

This will turn on the raw data you need, but it is stored in RAM so
you will need to resend the codes every time you power up.

Also, set your type to PPP and then you should start to see sub-meter
accuracy with RTKLib.

see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RTKLIB

Scott

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM, vbenso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Leor,
>
> It's been a long time since I don't touch my GPS hardware, so I could be
> wrong. That being said.
> As far as I remember, rtklib needs more information than just UBX-RXM-RAW in
> order to obtain an accurate fix. The neo6m should send another message
> (maybe RXM-SFRB?) that I wasn't able to get from the receiver.
> I could get ordinary gps precision in static and single modes of rtklib.
> Good luck, and in case of any development let me know.
>

> Victor A. P. Benso
> Sementes Benso
> Major Vieira - SC
> (47) 9922-9599
> (47) 3655-1192
>

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM, leor [via Open Source GPS-related
> discussion and support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I got 2 CN-06 (neo6m) recievers to output into RTKlib both over serial
>> COM. Problem is that I have not been able to get a fix and always get a
>> single status. Also whenever I choose static it seems to change everytime I
>> start it. Using dgps and kinematic gives me an accuraccy of around 50m. I
>> have tested this indoors and managed to get RAW data. Any idea how it would
>> perform outdoors? I am trying to collect data to creat GCP for use in ortho
>> correction
>> [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kj3Z5IV.jpg[/IMG]
>>

>> Great info you guys have. I got it to work but I am not sure what kind of
>> accuracy I will be getting

>> NAML

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

Danny Miller
Be sure to increase your serial port baud rate.

There's MUCH longer packets, and more of them, than data than NMEA
fixes.  In my experience if there's too much data it just overruns the
buffer and data gets lost.  The link is full of errors and the fix
disappears.

It may appear fine early on after power-up.  But as more satellites get
added, the data gets longer and longer, and you may oddly lose the fix
as it becomes "good".

You can also disable data you don't need to keep the link bandwidth down.

The graphical interface of U-Center allows you to turn on/off msg types
for each port.  It'll be saved if you have a battery on the GPS, which
you should to maintain the RTC.

Danny

On 4/30/2014 12:16 PM, Scott Harrison wrote:

> Leor,
>
> You have to go into U-Center and enter the following custom message:
>
> to enable RXM-RAW
>
> b5 62 09 01 10 00 c8 16 00 00 00 00 00 00 97 69 21 00 00 00 02 10 2b 22
>
> to enable RXM-SFRB
>
> b5 62 09 01 10 00 0c 19 00 00 00 00 00 00 83 69 21 00 00 00 02 11 5f f0
>
> This will turn on the raw data you need, but it is stored in RAM so
> you will need to resend the codes every time you power up.
>
> Also, set your type to PPP and then you should start to see sub-meter
> accuracy with RTKLib.
>
> see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RTKLIB
>

> Scott
>
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM, vbenso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Leor,
>>
>> It's been a long time since I don't touch my GPS hardware, so I could be
>> wrong. That being said.
>> As far as I remember, rtklib needs more information than just UBX-RXM-RAW in
>> order to obtain an accurate fix. The neo6m should send another message
>> (maybe RXM-SFRB?) that I wasn't able to get from the receiver.
>> I could get ordinary gps precision in static and single modes of rtklib.
>> Good luck, and in case of any development let me know.
>>

>> Victor A. P. Benso
>> Sementes Benso
>> Major Vieira - SC
>> (47) 9922-9599
>> (47) 3655-1192
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM, leor [via Open Source GPS-related
>> discussion and support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I got 2 CN-06 (neo6m) recievers to output into RTKlib both over serial
>>> COM. Problem is that I have not been able to get a fix and always get a
>>> single status. Also whenever I choose static it seems to change everytime I
>>> start it. Using dgps and kinematic gives me an accuraccy of around 50m. I
>>> have tested this indoors and managed to get RAW data. Any idea how it would
>>> perform outdoors? I am trying to collect data to creat GCP for use in ortho
>>> correction
>>> [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kj3Z5IV.jpg[/IMG]
>>>

>>> Great info you guys have. I got it to work but I am not sure what kind of
>>> accuracy I will be getting

>>> NAML

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

Josh Leighton
You should also be able to provide a startup message for RTKLIB to send to the receiver.  I use it with str2str and if I recall rtkrcv / RKNAVI support it as well.  For ublox it looks like:

!UBX CFG-RATE 1000 1 1      # set update period in milliseconds
!UBX CFG-MSG 2 17 0 0 0 1   # RXM RAW - required for rtklib
!UBX CFG-MSG 2 16 0 0 0 1   # RXM SFRB - recommended for rtklib
!UBX CFG-MSG 240 0 0 0 0 1  # NMEA GGA
!UBX CFG-MSG 240 1 0 0 0 0  # NMEA GLL
!UBX CFG-MSG 240 2 0 0 0 0  # NMEA GSA
!UBX CFG-MSG 240 3 0 0 0 0  # NMEA GSV
!UBX CFG-MSG 240 4 0 0 0 1  # NMEA RMC
!UBX CFG-MSG 240 5 0 0 0 0  # NMEA VTG
!UBX CFG-MSG 240 8 0 0 0 0  # NMEA ZDA

The first two numbers of each CFG-MSG line define the message, and the following 4 0s and 1s turn that message on and off for different interfaces (usb, serial, etc)

-Josh

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Danny Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The problem with the NEO-6M is that raw messages are disabled by
default so there is no explicit way to activate the RXM RAW & RXM SFRB
messages in the normal manner in U-Center.   This is why you have to
send a custom message to modify the firmware that resides in volatile
memory.  I don't think a battery backup will help the because the
firmware will be reloaded from ROM when the chip reboots and the raw
messages will be turned back off.  I am not 100% sure though, and this
should be tested.

Scott

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Josh Leighton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You should also be able to provide a startup message for RTKLIB to send to
> the receiver.  I use it with str2str and if I recall rtkrcv / RKNAVI support
> it as well.  For ublox it looks like:
>
> !UBX CFG-RATE 1000 1 1      # set update period in milliseconds
> !UBX CFG-MSG 2 17 0 0 0 1   # RXM RAW - required for rtklib
> !UBX CFG-MSG 2 16 0 0 0 1   # RXM SFRB - recommended for rtklib
> !UBX CFG-MSG 240 0 0 0 0 1  # NMEA GGA
> !UBX CFG-MSG 240 1 0 0 0 0  # NMEA GLL
> !UBX CFG-MSG 240 2 0 0 0 0  # NMEA GSA
> !UBX CFG-MSG 240 3 0 0 0 0  # NMEA GSV
> !UBX CFG-MSG 240 4 0 0 0 1  # NMEA RMC
> !UBX CFG-MSG 240 5 0 0 0 0  # NMEA VTG
> !UBX CFG-MSG 240 8 0 0 0 0  # NMEA ZDA
>
> The first two numbers of each CFG-MSG line define the message, and the
> following 4 0s and 1s turn that message on and off for different interfaces
> (usb, serial, etc)
>
> -Josh
>

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Danny Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Be sure to increase your serial port baud rate.
>>
>> There's MUCH longer packets, and more of them, than data than NMEA fixes.
>> In my experience if there's too much data it just overruns the buffer and
>> data gets lost.  The link is full of errors and the fix disappears.
>>
>> It may appear fine early on after power-up.  But as more satellites get
>> added, the data gets longer and longer, and you may oddly lose the fix as it
>> becomes "good".
>>
>> You can also disable data you don't need to keep the link bandwidth down.
>>
>> The graphical interface of U-Center allows you to turn on/off msg types
>> for each port.  It'll be saved if you have a battery on the GPS, which you
>> should to maintain the RTC.
>>
>> Danny
>>

>> On 4/30/2014 12:16 PM, Scott Harrison wrote:
>>>
>>> Leor,
>>>
>>> You have to go into U-Center and enter the following custom message:
>>>
>>> to enable RXM-RAW
>>>
>>> b5 62 09 01 10 00 c8 16 00 00 00 00 00 00 97 69 21 00 00 00 02 10 2b 22
>>>
>>> to enable RXM-SFRB
>>>
>>> b5 62 09 01 10 00 0c 19 00 00 00 00 00 00 83 69 21 00 00 00 02 11 5f f0
>>>
>>> This will turn on the raw data you need, but it is stored in RAM so
>>> you will need to resend the codes every time you power up.
>>>
>>> Also, set your type to PPP and then you should start to see sub-meter
>>> accuracy with RTKLib.
>>>
>>> see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RTKLIB
>>>

>>> Scott

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

leor
This post was updated on .
Thank you all for the responses. I just noticed that in Ublox I do not have NMEA messages active. I did however find a replicatable way to enable RXM RAW and RXM SFRB. I will try to log serial commands to see if I can get it running with a single click or custom message.

This is the following steps I have to take, in exactly this order otherwise it won't activate and you have to start over.

Unplug and plug in, default configuration, baud set at 9600.

1. In messages send RXM-RAW message.
2. In configuration, set (MSG) to RXM-RAW on uart1
3. In messages again send RXM-SFRB
4. In configuration, set (MSG) to RXM-SFRB on uart1
5. In configuration (PRT) set baud to highest possible, output to UBX and input to all aviable (RCTM+UBX+NMEA etc)

Now I have a steady flow of RAW and SFRB, but I have no idea how to enable PPP or get the NMEA messages from ublox as stated here

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/fRLHKET.png

This is from ublox packet console. This outputting Ublox+NMEA (I am not sure if RTKnavi can read both protocols)

">>> Also, set your type to PPP and then you should start to see sub-meter
>>> accuracy with RTKLib. "

How do I enable this? What option would it be called in ublox? What else do I need besides RAW and SFRB?

Also in RTKnavi, I don't see anything for N, U, E baseline and I only get single solution with both recievers in various modes tested

Edit again: I got PPP working by selecting it and outputting NMEA and RAW. Still my singal constantly moves and doesn't stay put. Static PPP mode on RTK navi. Thanks again for all the help, this could be the cheapest RTK solution made...

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

seabass
Scott,

I have been playing around with a Ublox Neo 6m receiver, and i have been using the UbloxRaw codes to enable Raw and SFRB messages.

I'm wondering if anyone has got these codes working outside of U-Centre, do you think it is possible to send these messages via Arduino?

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

mochasatin
seabass,

Yes you can. In fact I did a little work on a similar problem a short while ago but I am traveling now and haven't got back to it.  In my case, I was writing a desktop app to configure the uBlox module in linux via a serial connection (or FTDI usb to serial).  I don't use Windows much and was getting tired of switching operating systems to run uBlox.  I have attached a small Arduino Project sample file I found on Saintsmart earlier.  You should be able to get the example running with a few tweaks.

Good luck.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 1:55 AM, seabass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Scott,

I have been playing around with a Ublox Neo 6m receiver, and i have been
using the UbloxRaw codes to enable Raw and SFRB messages.

I'm wondering if anyone has got these codes working outside of U-Centre, do
you think it is possible to send these messages via Arduino?

gps.pde (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Raw Data from NEO-6M

mochasatin
seabass,

There seem to be several examples for Arduino online.  Here is a better one.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Scott Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ubxcodes.ino (12K) Download Attachment
12