Hello. New member here.

Bill Maidment
Hi
Introducing myself. I am a 71year old, with 50+ years in IT starting with Mainframe machine code experience through COBOL and then on to PC work and 15 years of Linux (mainly RedHat flavour).
I am now retired but am a volunteer IT guy for our local historical society in Batemans Bay, Australia. I am embarking on a new project for them mapping burial plots in the ancient cemeteries around the area.
We have acquired a pair of Raspberry Pi 3B computers, each with a RasPiGNSS module and Tallysman TW2410 aerial in the hopes that we can get cm accuracy for our GPS plots.
The base station and rover station are currently being constructed and the software (Raspbian Jessie and RTKLIB 2.4.2p12) has been installed with basic testing successful.
We do have some issues with Kinematic fixes and clock times on the Raspberry Pi and I am awaiting delivery of some RTC shims to give us consistent clock times.
More later.....

Cheers
Bill Maidment

Re: Hello. New member here.

cristian paul peñaranda rojas
Just wondering , have you seen the RTK modules from NavSpark ? They might help you if you're looking for cm accuracy and want to get an affordable off the sell/DIY setup.

Cristian Paul

> El 30/06/2017, a las 23:21, Bill Maidment <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> RasPiGNSS

Re: Hello. New member here.

antongstrydom
Good day Bill

I have designed a Cape for a BeagleBone Black as well as a Hat for the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3. I use the Beagles extensively. I use the U-Blox 6T modules on the ones I have but am upgrading to the new 8T module soon.

The units have cellular modules and 900 MHz radios on them to do RTK and I am getting very good results in terms of accuracy

I use either the Beagle units or a Geomax and Leica SR500 dual frequency GPS units as base.

I am presently developing a high accuracy navigation and positioning system for a mining house and am incorporating a IMU, accelerometer and magnetometer in the units

Regards

on

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 6:21 AM, Bill Maidment <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

julio menezes
Hi Bill

welcome !

I would like to follow your project, if possible.
I compile rtklib2.4.3b28 for Pi2 after some makefile fix. testing now.
I do work with mapping.

regards,
julio
cartognu.org

Re: Hello. New member here.

David Bannon
Wow Bill, interesting.

Are you sending your data to OpenStreetMap ?

Does the RasPi use the RTC module for its internal time keeping ? I
would have expected it to just use the RTC at boot up then rely on its
own internal one ?

David

On 01/07/17 14:21, Bill Maidment wrote:

> Hi
> Introducing myself. I am a 71year old, with 50+ years in IT starting with Mainframe machine code experience through COBOL and then on to PC work and 15 years of Linux (mainly RedHat flavour).
> I am now retired but am a volunteer IT guy for our local historical society in Batemans Bay, Australia. I am embarking on a new project for them mapping burial plots in the ancient cemeteries around the area.
> We have acquired a pair of Raspberry Pi 3B computers, each with a RasPiGNSS module and Tallysman TW2410 aerial in the hopes that we can get cm accuracy for our GPS plots.
> The base station and rover station are currently being constructed and the software (Raspbian Jessie and RTKLIB 2.4.2p12) has been installed with basic testing successful.
> We do have some issues with Kinematic fixes and clock times on the Raspberry Pi and I am awaiting delivery of some RTC shims to give us consistent clock times.
> More later.....
>
> Cheers
> Bill Maidment

Re: Hello. New member here.

Bill Maidment
Thanks everyone who has responded, for the warm welcome and interesting comments.

I have certain constraints which have led me to choosing the equipment and software for my project:
1. Cost - Total equipment budget was AU$1200 - which has now been spent.
2. Field Conditions - Rugged terrain, no power supply, no internet access and probably no mobile phone signal.

The Raspberry Pi machines are powered from USB recharge batteries (5.1v 20,000 maH), which so far have been very long lasting between recharges.
RTC modules will be installed to capture an accurate NTP time before setting out from home and provide a reasonably accurate time on boot up in the field. I'm still trying to understand how the system time affects RTKLIB.
The RaspiGNSS modules were chosen because they simply plug in to Raspberry Pi and fit into the standard case with very little "reconfiguration". Dual frequency modules would have been nice, but were unaffordable.

The rover Pi runs an SQL database and web site to capture and display the results and runs as a wireless AP so that a mobile phone with a web browser can be used to control saving fixes to the database, etc. All this on a private wireless sub-net.
On return to home, the SQL data is downloaded to the master database for the mapping processes. OpenStreetMap has not yet been considered, but may be beyond the scope of the project.

I have tried RTKLIB 2.4.3b28 but was concerned about a few bugs which still need to be fixed. However, I am currently testing 2.4.2p12 with some 2.4.3 nvs fixes backported.
I must admit that much of the terminology in RTKLIB is beyond my knowledge, which makes configuration choices a bit hit-and-miss. Does anyone know of any helpful documentation for this technology?

Well, I've taken up enough of your time, so I'll leave it at that. Time for a glass of Shiraz.

Cheers
Bill