FoxtrotGPS 1.2.0 released

Joshua Judson Rosen
Hi everybody,

I'd like to announce that FoxtrotGPS 1.2.0 has been released,
and can now be downloaded from <http://www.foxtrotgps.org/>.

A quick list of highlights from the NEWS file (since the 1.1.1 release):

    * An advanced, interactive route-planning facility, thanks to
      Tilmann Bubeck; this is accessible via the new "route-planning" menu.

    * Menu reorganisation: to avoid confusion between the new
      route-planning and routepoint-manipulation functionality, and the
      other _route-finding_ and _waypoint_ features that were previously
      located together in the "ways & routes" menu, those features have
      been split out into separate "route-finding" and "waypoint" menus.

    * An illustrated user manual, including a detailed introduction,
      and HOWTO guides on route-planning, track-logging, and
      tilecache-management--thanks to David Bannon and Tilmann Bubeck.

      A PDF rendition of the manual is available on the website,
      if you want it but don't want to build it yourself:

            <http://www.foxtrotgps.org/doc/foxtrotgps.pdf>

    * A quick track-logging toggle in the left toolbar used in the
      horizontal screen-layout.

    * FoxtrotGPS now ships with a script (gpx2osm) to help convert from
      GPX to OpenStreetMap log format, contributed by David Bannon.

    * Heading angles are now actually correct regardless of the units in use,
      thanks to Karl-Georg Warnick.

    * The map-widget now takes focus by default, which means that various
      keyboard shortcut should work more reliably.

    * The timestamps in the names of track-log files now include the
      timezone, to avoid confusion when logging/using tracks around DST
      or other timezone-transitions (where `the same 1-hour span' can
      occur twice in a row and collide with itself if the timestamps are
      zoneless).

    * More translations, more complete translations; this version
      includes complete translations for Dutch (thanks to Marc Verwerft),
      German (thanks to Simon Vetter), Spanish (thanks to Cristian Gómez and
      Dailos Franchy), Czech (thanks to Jiří Pinkava), French (thanks to
      Guilhem Bonnefille, Philippe Coval, and Steve Petruzzello), and
      Finnish (thanks to Timo Jyrinki); as well as new and newly-improved
      partial translations for Polish (thanks to Patryk Benderz),
      Russian (thanks to Vadim Efimov), Italian (thanks to Daniele Forsi),
      and Portuguese (thanks to Victor Benso).

    * Geocoding photos no longer requires Perl.

    * Support for geocoding using old-style `.log' files has been removed.

    * Various crashes, memory leaks, and potential security issues
      have been fixed.

Enjoy! :)

--
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds."

FoxtrotGPS - POI and other stuff

David Bannon
Hi Folks, some questions about FoxtrotGPS ?

1. Reference is made to the poi.db, an sqlite database. Anyone know
where the format of that file is documented ? I might be able to work it
out from poi.c but not very keen.

2. My install of Foxtrot does not have any mention of poi in menus, is
that because the Ubuntu build chooses to not support poi ?

3. Assuming above, I grabbed source but the INSTALL file with building
instructions seems to have gone away. Those instructions exist on the
web site, should we make a new INSTALL file or remove reference to it
from README ?

4. In Contributions, the script, gpx2osm, line 26 says "...osm
version='0.5'...". OSM now requires version 0.6, fortunately, what we
are doing here is unchanged with the version boost so its a simple edit,
change 0.5 to 0.6

5. Do you want a "pull request" or what ever Launchpad uses to do 3 and
4 of this ?

David

Re: FoxtrotGPS - POI and other stuff

Sezer Yalcin
Just for #1
Sqlite is very common database. You can use available C libraries or deal with it use simpler scripting languages like PHP https://secure.php.net/manual/en/book.sqlite3.php

On 15/12/16 20:52, Sezer Yalcin wrote:
Just for #1
Sqlite is very common database. You can use available C libraries or deal with it use simpler scripting languages like PHP https://secure.php.net/manual/en/book.sqlite3.php

Yes, thanks Sezer. I should have chosen my words more carefully. What I want to know is the database schema, the names of the database columns and what sort of data foxtrot expects to find in there. If I could find an (Foxtrot POI) example file, I could use sqlite to dump the schema but I have not found anything like one.

But thanks for your response anyway.

David

[...]

Joshua Judson Rosen-2
On 12/15/2016 06:14 AM, David Bannon wrote:

> On 15/12/16 20:52, Sezer Yalcin wrote:
>> Just for #1
>> Sqlite is very common database. You can use available C libraries or
>> deal with it use simpler scripting languages like
>> PHP https://secure.php.net/manual/en/book.sqlite3.php
>
> Yes, thanks Sezer. I should have chosen my words more carefully. What I
> want to know is the database schema, the names of the database columns
> and what sort of data foxtrot expects to find in there. If I could find
> an (Foxtrot POI) example file, I could use sqlite to dump the schema but
> I have not found anything like one.

Hi, David!

Gosh it's been a while....

Regarding the POI table, it's just defined in poi.c
(at "#define POI_DB_CREATE").

Adding some inline comments...:

        CREATE TABLE poi (idmd5 TEXT, -- a unique ID-string
                          lat REAL, lon REAL, -- location
                          visibility REAL, -- 1=public, 0=personal
                          cat REAL, subcat REAL, -- index into menus
                          keywords TEXT, -- i.e. POI name
                          desc TEXT, -- description
                          price_range REAL, -- 1, 3, or 5
                          extended_open REAL, -- really a bool
                          creator TEXT, -- not used
                          bookmarked REAL, -- not used
                          user_rating REAL, -- not used
                          rating REAL, -- not used
                          user_comment TEXT); -- not used

Thought you might think it from the name, "idmd5" ID-string
is not an md5sum of anything; it's formed by concatenating
the textual forms of two large random numbers together,
but really it could be anything (a UUID would probably be
a better choice).

The price_range values 1, 3, and 5 correspond to
"budget", "medium", and "exclusive".

extended_open is the "extended opening hours" checkbox,
where 1=checked, 0=unchecked.

I'm not immediately sure whether any of the various
unused columns after extended_open were _ever used_
back when Marcus was developing the codebase as tangoGPS,
or if he just reserved them because he thought he might
use them for something at some point in the future....

>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM, David Bannon
>>
>>     Hi Folks, some questions about FoxtrotGPS ?
>>
>>     1. Reference is made to the poi.db, an sqlite database. Anyone
>>     know where the format of that file is documented ? I might be able
>>     to work it out from poi.c but not very keen.
>>
>>     2. My install of Foxtrot does not have any mention of poi in
>>     menus, is that because the Ubuntu build chooses to not support poi ?

No idea why the POI menu-items would be missing. The menus work
other than that--you have items for waypoints, route-finding,
route-planning, photos...?

I don't think there's any code to show/hide the "show POIs" item
or the "POIs" submenu.

>>     3. Assuming above, I grabbed source but the INSTALL file with
>>     building instructions seems to have gone away. Those instructions
>>     exist on the web site, should we make a new INSTALL file or remove
>>     reference to it from README ?

It should still be in the release tarballs; it's autogenerated
when you run ./autogen.sh. There used to be a version in bzr that
basically had the contents of the README prepended to it;
that was removed mostly to let Autotools actually give us
as up-to-date a set of INSTALL instructions as it could
(and prepending our README onto INSTALL seemed redundant--
especially when the INSTALL file that Autotools generates says
"see the `README' file for instructions specific to this package"
at the top of the file).

>>     4. In Contributions, the script, gpx2osm, line 26 says "...osm
>>     version='0.5'...". OSM now requires version 0.6, fortunately, what
>>     we are doing here is unchanged with the version boost so its a
>>     simple edit, change 0.5 to 0.6

Is that really all that needs to be changed?

Hm. While I'm looking at that... do you know if the "generator='JOSM'"
bit is actually necessary? (IIRC you just copied that verbatim
from Marcus' perl script?)

>>     5. Do you want a "pull request" or what ever Launchpad uses to do
>>     3 and 4 of this ?

Does the above explanation change your mind any about the INSTALL file? ;)

Re: FoxtrotGPS - POI and other stuff

David Bannon
Ah, thanks Joshua. I did work out from the source pretty much what you
say here. But was puzzelled by some fields, looks like you share that
puzzelment ! I did not realise it went all the way back to Markus.

On 09/01/17 17:52, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> Thought you might think it from the name, "idmd5" ID-string
Seems to be just a (almost) unique number generator. Makes sense.

The naming of the icon used to mark each POI is pretty interesting !
Needed strace to work it out. Icon is named for what appears in the
keyword field. So, if the contents is "Camp.png" then thats the name of
the icon. However, if the contents of keywords is "Camp Standard" then
it looks for, literally, "Camp%20Standard".  The space 'escaped',
replaced with the actual characters %20 and the .png dropped off.

Messy IMHO.

Sounds like he was in the process of changing the meaning of that field,
perhaps because, in the first draft of the schema, he forgot to include
an icon name field ? Seems a shame to drop the keyword functionality but
obviously do need to name the icon.

I wonder if anyone is using that existing behaviour ?

(Indeed, I wonder i anyone is using Tango itself ?  Still by far the
best Linux tool for the job....)

I'd like to "fix" the POI stuff but I guess it must be done without
breaking existing behaviour. I think I'd add a "Icon" field to the
scheme, would be forward compatible but not backwards.

Be interesting to hear what functionality others expect from POI ???

David

> I'm not immediately sure whether any of the various
> unused columns after extended_open were _ever used_
> back when Marcus was developing the codebase as tangoGPS,
> or if he just reserved them because he thought he might
> use them for something at some point in the future....

>>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM, David Bannon
>>>
>>>      Hi Folks, some questions about FoxtrotGPS ?
>>>
>>>      1. Reference is made to the poi.db, an sqlite database. Anyone
>>>      know where the format of that file is documented ? I might be able
>>>      to work it out from poi.c but not very keen.
>>>
>>>      2. My install of Foxtrot does not have any mention of poi in
>>>      menus, is that because the Ubuntu build chooses to not support poi ?
>
> No idea why the POI menu-items would be missing. The menus work
> other than that--you have items for waypoints, route-finding,
> route-planning, photos...?
>
> I don't think there's any code to show/hide the "show POIs" item
> or the "POIs" submenu.
>
>>>      3. Assuming above, I grabbed source but the INSTALL file with
>>>      building instructions seems to have gone away. Those instructions
>>>      exist on the web site, should we make a new INSTALL file or remove
>>>      reference to it from README ?
> It should still be in the release tarballs; it's autogenerated
> when you run ./autogen.sh. There used to be a version in bzr that
> basically had the contents of the README prepended to it;
> that was removed mostly to let Autotools actually give us
> as up-to-date a set of INSTALL instructions as it could
> (and prepending our README onto INSTALL seemed redundant--
> especially when the INSTALL file that Autotools generates says
> "see the `README' file for instructions specific to this package"
> at the top of the file).
>
>>>      4. In Contributions, the script, gpx2osm, line 26 says "...osm
>>>      version='0.5'...". OSM now requires version 0.6, fortunately, what
>>>      we are doing here is unchanged with the version boost so its a
>>>      simple edit, change 0.5 to 0.6
> Is that really all that needs to be changed?
>
> Hm. While I'm looking at that... do you know if the "generator='JOSM'"
> bit is actually necessary? (IIRC you just copied that verbatim
> from Marcus' perl script?)
>
>>>      5. Do you want a "pull request" or what ever Launchpad uses to do
>>>      3 and 4 of this ?
> Does the above explanation change your mind any about the INSTALL file? ;)

INSTALL, menus and gpx2osm

David Bannon
Hmm, sorry Joshua, I have not answered all your questions. That comes
from asking to many questions in the one thread (which I did !).

On 09/01/17 17:52, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> No idea why the POI menu-items would be missing.
Its not missing, I just did not look hard enough. Sigh ....

> 3. Assuming above, I grabbed source but the INSTALL file with....

Yep, the install file is there. No idea of why I could not see it.
Honestly, no idea ! But I was having some build problems, cannot
remember the details (Christmas...) so will have another look when I get
the time.

> 4. In Contributions, the script, gpx2osm, line 26 says "...osm.....
> Is that really all that needs to be changed?
Yes, while the spec has changed a little, its not relevant to our use.

> Hm. While I'm looking at that... do you know if the "generator='JOSM'"
> bit is actually necessary? (IIRC you just copied that verbatim
> from Marcus' perl script?)
Hmm, yes, pretty sure the "generator='JOSM'" was a direct lift from
Markus's original. I do feed the output to JOSM (and expect Markus did
too) but I don't think its necessary. Will have a play, have some data
to upload anyway.

David

Foxtrot - addendum to README

David Bannon
OK, just built Foxtrot from Bazaar.

The README could do with a few additions, under requirements, we should
note that at least some of the packages mentioned require the -dev
package. Obviously this really applies to people installing via a
package manager rather than building from source. In particular -

libglade2-dev
libsqlite3-dev
libexif-dev
libgps-dev

libcurl3-gnutls (assuming we're using the gnutls flavour of libcurl)

Secondly, its useful to be able to run a newly built binary without
installing. On Ubuntu at least, thats reasonably easy - from where we
are building -

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/foxtrotgps
sudo ln -s  $(pwd)/data/foxtrotgps.glade
/usr/local/share/foxtrotgps/foxtrotgps.glade
src/foxtrotgps

David