Android Nougat and raw GNSS capability

Glenn Thorpe

Hello

Android Nougat has now been released with its ability to utilize raw GNSS data.  The api for the GnssMeasurement class is at https://developer.android.com/reference/android/location/GnssMeasurement.html

Details of the next Google phone, the Pixel that replaces the Nexus moniker, will be announced on October 4 and the Pixel phones are expected to be available on October 20.

One can but presume that the GNSS chips included in the Pixel phones will allow raw output so that the GnssMeasurement class can be utilized.

One can also only presume that an app to utilize the GnssMeasurement output will be included.  We can but speculate what the capabilities of the app will be, will it permit RTK streamed input? PPP streamed input? satellite provided augmentation including SBAS, QZSS, Baidou, Galileo and IRNSS?  Will it flexible enough to automagically swap between RTK “over the phone” mode and PPP “satellite augmentation” mode if the phone data connection drops for some time?  Alternately will it be smart enough to swap in and out of Gyroscope utilization to keep position?  Will it be smart enough to retain and utilize the best information available if it swaps between modes, such as in Australia hold & utilize the downloaded Ionospheric correction for some time whilst utilizing the QZSS augmentation information for satellite positions and clocks?

If anyone with an ear closer to the manufacturers/developers hears anything I am sure we would all appreciate any titbits of info that can be shared.

Thanks

Glenn Thorpe

Re: Android Nougat and raw GNSS capability

Felipe G. Nievinski
There was a tutorial last week at the ION GNSS+ conference:
"Raw GNSS Measurements from Android Phones"
Hopefully someone who attend it can share some insights.. or slides.
-FGN.

Re: Android Nougat and raw GNSS capability

Elise-Rachel Mathis

Hello

I am looking forward information about treatment of raw GNSS data from smartphone with Android Nougat.

Does anyone realize some treatment? With what kind of software? What kind of quality could be hoped?

Is there some data available for test?

Thanks a lot

Elise Mathis

Re: Android Nougat and raw GNSS capability

Asalviano
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/gnss.htm

RTKGPS+ COULD MAKE INCLUSION FOR THESE CELL PHONES!

--
Sent from: http://open-source-gps-related-discussion-and-support.1099874.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Android Nougat and raw GNSS capability

DavidKelley@ITSware.net
This post was updated on .
Thanks Asalviano for the reminder here.   I cannot see any reason to not to
a) get this as part of the core RTKLIB code base, and b) teach these
phones to send back observations with NTRIP so remote processing can be
used.  More than a few people have asked about how a tool like RTKLIB (or a
Caster tool) could be used to get L1 PPP solution and send the results back
to the field rovers.  There are always many folks who cannot afford L1/L2
field devices where this may really help.

FYI, For some reason on my machine the link
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/gnss.html  only works if
you first go to
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/sensors_overview.html

See this mLab code base as well:
https://github.com/google/gps-measurement-tools  IMHO, RTKLIB is a better
place to start.   There are also a couple of bluetooth connected  NTRIP
Client Phone Apps out there now as well.  The list of supported phones is
quite useful for those of use with older pre-Nougat OS stuff.

As Felipe G. Nievinski mentions, this was a hot topic a year ago at ION, the
"training" sessions sold out.  After the ION presentations on early field
trials on all of this are presented in 2 more weeks  ( Sept 27th, see
https://www.ion.org/gnss/sessions.cfm?sessionID=673 for the session) perhaps
those lucky enough to attend will know a bit more.

From my own view, this may be the next big thing for RTK, but the phase
center of the patch antenna used frankly scares me. We may be pulling one
"good" measurements out of hundreds of bad ones.  Can't wait to find out.

--
Sent from: http://open-source-gps-related-discussion-and-support.1099874.n2.nabble.com/